The AGORA program, set up by the Food & Agriculture Organisation of the UN (FAO) together with major publishers provides access to an outstanding digital library collections in the fields of food, agriculture, environmental science and related social sciences. AGORA provides a collection of 918 journals to institutions in 107 countries. AGORA is designed to enhance the scholarship of the many thousands of students, faculty and researchers in agriculture and life sciences in the developing world. [for more click here]
Features 30 peer-reviewed journals from Brazil, Cuba, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe etc. Subjects included are health, biodiversity, environment, conservation and international development. [for more click here]
BLDS: British Library for Development Studies at IDS – Institute of Development Studies
This is Europe’s largest research collection on economic and social change in developing countries. [for more click here]
Bridge: Development and Gender
A searchable database of gender and development materials from across the wild. The collection includes tools, case studies, policy papers and research. [for more click here]
Databases is one of the world’s most valuable, largest scholarly multidiscipline, full text database indispensable to academic institutions.
The Academic Search Premier is by far the world’s most valuable and most numerous collections of active full text peer-reviewed journals. Business source premier is the industry’s most used business research database, providing the full text for more than 2,300 journals. Education Research complete is the definitive online resource for education research. This massive file offers the world largest and most complete collection of full text education journal.
The Health source: Nursing /Academic Edition provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. MEDLINE with full text is the world’s most comprehensive source of full text medical journals, providing full text for nearly 1,200 journals indexed in MEDLINE. SOCINDEX with full text is the most comprehensive engine and highest quality sociology research database. Its extensive scope and content provide users with a wealth of extremely useful information encompassing the broad spectrum of sociological study. [for more click here]
Electronic Journals and Magazines on the Middle East
Provides a list of journals related to the Middle East, some of which include access to full texts or abstracts of articles. [for more click here]
Electronic Literature Directory
This is a database of listings that cover poetry, fiction, drama, and non fictions. The forms of writing represented include hypertexts, animated poems, multimedia works, etc. [for more click here]
ERIC/AE Full Text Internet Library
Links to full-text books, reports, journal articles, newsletter articles and papers on the Internet that address educational measurement, evaluation and learning theory. [for more click here]
Access to electronic editions of academic books published by scholarship editions, mainly in the humanities, religion, history, literature, arts and social sciences. [for more click here]
Archive of published articles that can be searched for free. Includes access to some journals which provide free full text access. The service covers more general than academic journals but includes a few journals on management and education. [for more click here]
Highwire (Stanford University)
Highwire facilitates access to over 1.1 million full text scholarly articles on medical/biomedical topics. Most journal titles covered include back issues older than 12-24 months. [for more click here]
The Health InterNetwork Access to Research Initiative (HINARI) provides very low cost online access to the major journals in biomedical and related social sciences to local, not-for-profit institutions in developing countries.
HINARI was launched in January 2002, with some 1500 journals from 6 major publishers: Blackwell, Elsevier Science, the Harcourt Worldwide STM Group, Wolters Kluwer International Health & Science, Springer Verlag and John Wiley, following the principles in a Statement of Intent signed in July 2001. Twenty-two additional publishers joined in May 2002, bringing the total number of journals to over 2000. Since that time, the numbers of participating publishers and of journals and other full-text resources has grown continuously. Today more than 70 publishers are offering their content in HINARI and others will soon be joining the programme. An evaluation is in progress which will determine the long term future of HINARI. [for more click here]
Is a digital library of more than 1,500 academic journals, books, and primary sources. JSTOR helps people discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful rsearch and teaching platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a non-for-profit organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico .
- Help scholars, researchers, and students discover, use, and build upon a wide range of scholarly content on a dynamic platform that increases productivity and facilitates new forms of scholarship.
- Help libraries connect patrons to vital content while increasing shelf-space savings and lowering costs.
- help publishers reach new audiences and preserve their scholarly content for future generations.
Knowledge Resource Corner (KRC) http://elibrary.acbfpact.org
Welcome to ACBF’s Knowledge Resource Corner (KRC), a virtual library on capacity development. The Knowledge Resource Corner is a one stop shop digital library that offers fast, well-structured and unified interface to access free full-text copies on capacity development produced and published by ACBF, its networks and partners. KRC’s collections comprise books, occasional papers, working papers, reports, development memoirs, lesson notes, conference papers etc. Other online reference sources accessible via the Knowledge Resource Corner include several databases, gateways, portals, e-journals, e-books and e-news.
The KRC contains only the final, peer-reviewed versions of publications. The KRC is designed to meet the needs of ACBF’s research community based in Africa and beyond. Its value lies in the quality and convenience of its publications database. Each article, book, paper or report is enriched with semantic and bibliographic metadata, including topics, abstracts and keywords using a controlled vocabulary. Users save time with use of the search facility that narrow searches across and within ACBF publications and return highly relevant results across all content types. In addition, the KRC offers a number of other useful research tools and features including browse by subject, title author, content type, publisher and other metadata.
The KRC is unique and offers several advantages:
- It is free
- It is not limited by physical boundaries
- It is accessible around the clock
- It provides multiple accesses
- Information is retrieved instantly
- It preserves and conserve institutional knowledge
- No challenges of physical space
- The publications cannot be easily destroyed
- The publications are downloadable and printable
KRC resources are copyright protected and users are encouraged to attribute the work in the manner specified by the copyright holder.
NATIONAL VIRTUAL LIBRARY http://www.nigerianvirtuallibrary.com/
This is a digital library where you can derive maximum benefit from available resources which includes electronic books, journals, films, videos and maps. It contains highest and latest publications in various fields to facilitate teaching, research and learning.
National Academies Press:
Provides access to thousands of entire books and reports on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and the health sciences. [for more click here]
Ebrary employs powerful tools for information retrieval, discovery, and management.
These include content products, such as handbooks, e-books, manuals, reports and other authoritative documents
• Academic Complete (includes all other academic databases)
• Business & Economics
• Community & Career Colleges
• Engineering & Technology
• History & Political Science (also includes a bonus selection of historical maps)
• Humanities (includes Music, Theater, Dance, Film, Media, Communication, Art, and Architecture) Interdisciplinary & Area Studies (includes Asian, Ethnic, Native American, Gender, and Gay & Lesbian Studies)
• Language, Literature & Linguistics
• Law, International Relations & Public Policy
• Life Sciences (includes Biotechnology, Agriculture, and Environmental Studies)
• Nursing & Allied Health
• Physical Sciences
• Psychology & Social Work
• Religion, Philosophy & Classics
• Sociology & Anthropology
• Other Databases
• Canadian Electronic Library
• D&B International Business Reports™
• Datamonitor Industry Reports™
• Online Sheet Music
• Public Library Complete
• SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers)
Online Access to Research in the Environment (OARE)
Provides access to one of the world’s largest collections of environmental science literature an d database search tools. [for more click here]
The world’s largest online library of books (humanities & social sciences)
The first online library that provides 24/7 access to the world’s largest online collection of books and journal articles in the humanities and social sciences, plus magazine and newspaper articles.
• You can search each and every word of all of the books and journal articles in the collection.
• You can read every title cover to cover.
• This rich, scholarly content — selected by professional collection development librarians — is not available elsewhere on the Internet.
• Undergraduate, high school, graduate students, and Internet users of all ages have found Questia to be an invaluable online resource.
• Anyone doing research or just interested in topics that touch on the humanities and social sciences will find titles of interest in Questia.
• Questia offers a range of search, note-taking, and writing tools. These tools help students locate the most relevant information on their topics quickly, quote and cite correctly, and create properly formatted footnotes and bibliographies automatically.
• Questia provides a comprehensive research environment to meet students’ academic needs.
LEXISNEXIS (Legal and related Studies) Local Content http://www.mylexisnexis.co.za
Lexis Academics http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/lnacademic/?
LexisNexis® is a leading global provider of content-enabled workflow solutions to professionals in law firms, corporations, government, law enforcement, tax, accounting, academic institutions and risk and compliance assessment
Multi-Science Journals http://multi-science.metapress.com/publications
Multi-Science Publishing Company prides itself on publishing journals that fill gaps in the scientific literature and are responses to technological developments that call new disciplines into existence. In that way, it achieves uniqueness for its journals, they are not ‘yet another’ journal on any given topic. Of course, all Multi-Sciences primary journals are fully refereed; the fact that distinguished editors and editorial boards lend their names and their time to the journal is one way of understanding the esteem in which they are held in certain quarters. As well as journals, Multi-Science publishes books in the same subject areas as its journals.
World Bank E-Library http://elibrary.worldbank.org/
The World Bank eLibrary is the World Bank’s subscription-based collection of nearly 6,000 books, reports, journals, and working papers including:
• Development Outreach, World Bank Economic Review and World Bank Research Observer journal articles published since 1996
• Development Economics (DEC) policy research working papers published since 1995
• e-books and reports dating as far as the 1970’s (in the case of the World Development Reports), plus
• all new formal publications upon release.
Armed Conflict Database http://acd.iiss.org/armedconflict
Armed Conflict Database, a frequently updated source of information on armed conflicts worldwide. You can generate reports and download data as well as browse through the yearly analyses and fact sheets online.